Ten Things Ireland Can Thank Chuck Feeney For
Atlantic Philanthropies, the organisation founded by Irish American businessman and philanthropist Chuck Feeney, has confirmed it will wind down its grant giving by 2016.
Over the past three decades, Feeney has given upwards of €1.25bn in grants to a range of different campaigning groups, educational institutions and other organisations on both sides of the border.
Alan Ryan takes a look at ten of the many grants Atlantic has given over the past number of years:
1. Queen’s University of Belfast foundation was awarded £7,884,652 in 2003 to create a Centre for cancer research in Northern Ireland.
2. The Irish Hospice Foundation received €5,000,000 to transform the dying, death and bereavement that is experienced by older people in Ireland by rolling out the hospice friendly hospitals programme.
3. Community foundation for Northern Ireland was awarded £594,000 in 2006 to help it to secure a strong Bill of Rights by providing funding to support initiatives at local level.
4. The Trinity Foundation received €3,930,000 in 2002 to provide core funding for the Children’s Research Centre.
5. Amnesty International Ireland received €70,000 in 2009 to support its efforts to in terms of accountability and democracy in Ireland.
6. The Ireland Reaching out project received €25,000 in 2010 to support south east Galway’s diaspora project. Ireland Reaching Out is helping villages and towns around Ireland to trace and engage with descendants of their emigrants abroad.
7. University of Limerick was awarded €10,650,000 in 2007 to further develop its Irish World Academy of Music and Dance.
8. The Society of St Vincent de Paul received €183,500 in 2007 for a project to help children in Mayo affected by domestic violence and family conflict.
9. Maynooth University was awarded €4,158,000 to build new sports facilities on its campus for students in 2002.
10. Northern Ireland’s education system was assisted with a £2,250,000 award in 2005 to help integrate education.
These are just a sample of the millions in grant money that has been awarded on the island of Ireland since the 1980s.
You can take a look at more of the grants that have been awarded by Feeney’s organisation in this searchable grant database.